I was unable to complete many apintings this year but was thrilled at the invitation to submit work for The BRA Show.
Being true to my muse, I decided to make a sculpture using natural materials such as driftwood, leaves and vines (cut before spring bloom). This decision turned into quite the time consuming, learn-as-you-go project. I made armatures from wire, paper clay and plaster cloth and imbedded bird images made of painted self-hardening bone ware. The dried leaves prooved to be too brittle to cover the bra cups so I hand colored various thin papers and attached them instead. As the piece got heavier, I added a metal support band around the inner perimeter and covered it with plaster cloth and handmade bark paper. I then made an armature that would allow the "bra" and its driftwood base to hang flat on the wall.
I was happy with the results and have a much greater appreciation for sculptors than ever.