Block title


Mt. Gregory Methodist Episcopal Church — 1902 Mt. Gregory United Methodist Church is one of five remaining historically black Methodist Episcopal churches in Howard County, Maryland, that is more than one hundred years old. A small rectangular molding above the central entrance is inscribed, "Mt. Gregory M. E. Church, Erected AD 1902". A cornerstone is inscribed August 16, 1898. The history of this congregation is important for two reasons: it reflects common practice in the educational history of the United States, and it exemplifies the evolution of this particular community from one concerned with education of black children to the formation of a religious community. Log houses still stand nearby, occupied by families of the original trustees of Warfield Academy. Formed circa 1846, Warfield Academy preceded Mt. Gregory and led to its formation. Warfield Academy was "for the exclusive use, occupancy, benefit and advantage of the colored people or persons of African descent". Mt. Gregory is on the east side of MD Route 97, just south of Miller's Mill Road. Facing west, it is three bays wide by four bays deep and one story high. This frame building, covered with asbestos shingles, rests on a stone foundation and has a gabled roof. The church originally had an open belfry resting on the apex of the gable roof over the main west entrance. Windows are gothic arched double-hung, holding two-over-two panes of glass, bordered by a narrow row of nine-over-thirteen panes of glass. The main entrance has double doors capped by a gothic arched transom, gothic arched windows on either side and a large circular window above the doors. Mt. Gregory is a fine example of the Gothic Revival Style of the late nineteenth century, constructed in frame, with a Victorian interior featuring its original pine floors, beaded wainscoting, chair rail and pressed tin ceiling and wall covering. Archival Pigment Print on Hahnemuhle Harman Gloss Baryta - Digital Photography.