The Washout Gospel
The Washout Gospel is an book-length work of fiction, currently undergoing revisions.
May Tierney's best friend Amy died a year ago, and, not sure what else to do, May goes to Charleston to visit a friend-with-benefits. The visit doesn't go as planned, and instead of edging away from a mental breakdown, May dives into it recklessly. Meanwhile, the story also follows Dave, a 28-year-old virgin living in Baltimore, who finds Amy's old notebooks. Dave's roommate, pretentious artist Dave 3, wants to turn the notebooks into art, but Dave resists and sets out to find the author.
Attached here are the first two chapters.
Here were the questions I had (still have) that spurred me to start this project:
- How do you grieve when you are ill-equipped to do so?
- How does sex relate to grief?
- How well can you know someone?
- How can you better get to know someone?
- When friends grow up very close, what are they like without each other?
- What is the worst that could happen?
- How does celibacy shape us?
- Is there any way to preserve someone's spirit or identity after death?